Thursday, November 5, 2009


Vincent opens his eyes. Wispy white clouds float lazily along the peaceful azure above. The sun peeks out from between them, shining pleasantly above. The sunshine warmth is gentle and reassuring. He smiles. This isn't so bad. Slowly, he closes his eyes.

[Yep, this isn't so bad at all.]

"..."

[This place is quite nice, isn't it?]

"..."

[A peaceful solace from the world.]

He opens his eyes. The voice came from behind him. But as he sits up, the first thing he notices is the field. All around him are gentle hills full of wild grasses and flowers. He finds himself lost in the view. This place is beautiful. Too perfect for anything he has seen before. Did this mean that he is already...

[Dead?]

Vincent sighs to himself. Yet upon his face is a smile.

"I guess that I screwed up back there. But it really isn't so bad."

[It's a nice place.]

"At least I met a lot of interesting people, and I did a lot of interesting things. I have my regrets, of course. But it could have gone worse. At least I kept my promise."

[Not really.]

"Well, I tried, anyway. Couldn't remember what happened after that last technique, but if that hit it would have hurt pretty bad."

[... I suppose that's true.]

"So, are you here to guide me around?"

[Forget it. Too much of a bother.]

"Not much of an angel, are you. Figures."

[I'm not an angel, you idiot.]

"Huh?"

Vincent slowly turns to the owner of the voice. Before him stands a well-built man in a regal battle uniform. Upon his clothes are countless royal crests, spell insignia and holy symbols. At his waist is a long scabbard with sheathed European longsword. The man's face is familiar.

It is his own.

[Don't look so surprised.]

"You... knew all this time?"

[There are some things that a person can't forget, even if they want to.]

"But, I can't remember a thing!"

[Of course you can't. I only exist in this place.]

"I see."

[...]

"So."

[So.]

"Will you tell me who I really am?"

[...]

The man in uniform looks at Vincent thoughtfully before speaking.

[Nah, too troublesome. There are some memories that you don't need to remember.]

"Wait, what?"

[Besides, aren't you happy as you are right now?]

"What do you mean?"

The man sighs and shakes his head.

[Figure it out yourself. In any case, your time here is almost over.]

"Huh? Wait! What are you talking about?"

[Make sure that you take care of yourself out there. It's my self as well, you know.]

"Hey!"

[I'm leaving it to you, 'Vincent'.]

The man slowly starts walking away. Before Vincent can respond, everything fades to black.

No comments: